The Windrush generation were wronged by successive governments. To right those wrongs, the Windrush Scheme and Windrush Compensation Scheme was established so that people can apply for documentation to show settled status and get compensation for their suffering.
he aim is to raise awareness of the Windrush Scheme and the Windrush Compensation Scheme to communities most likely to be affected which will include: people of Caribbean, Indian, Pakistani, Ghanaian, Bangladeshi and Nigerian origin. Both schemes have been put in place to provide support to affected individuals, to help them to get documentation to prove their immigration status and apply to claim compensation for the impact on their lives.
If you’re settled in the UK but do not have a document to prove it, you may be eligible to apply to the ‘Windrush Scheme’.
You may be able to apply for a document to prove you can live and work in the UK if one of the following is true:
- you came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
- your parents came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
- you came to the UK from any country before 31 December 1988 and are now settled here
It’s free to apply. Please click HERE for the appliation form.
You may be able to claim compensation if you suffered losses because you could not show that you had a right to live in the UK.
‘Losses’ can be things like not being able to work, find a place to live or get health treatment. They can also include immigration action, like detention or removal from the UK.
The Scheme has been designed so that people do not need lawyers to make a claim.
However, for those who want support, the Home Office has funded Citizens Advice to provide independent advice.
The expert service enables those affected to get independent advice when submitting a compensation claim form without having to use a lawyer.
How to apply for compensation
It is quick and easy to make an application, and help is available to those who require additional support to make a claim.
- Claim forms can be downloaded from here.
- Individuals can request a form to be sent by post by calling our helpline on 0800 678 1925. They can also check eligibility and request any additional support they may need to complete the form using that helpline.
- Guidance on completing the application can be found here.
Individuals can also email WindrushCompensationScheme@homeoffice.gov.uk with additional questions or request a call back.
For further information, please see below for relevant media links:
Windrush Help Team Information Booklet - English